Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New build garden turf advice (extremely clay soil)

Hello all,

I recently Brough my first house with a nice size garden. I opted for them not to lay law in the garden (which looking at my front lawn and neighbours law was a smart choice) because our soil is very clayie. 

As I was excited I stupidly just raked the garden some way flat and just sowed grass seed over the soil. It doesn't look to bad but the soil has so much clay in it and the builders just piled soil in the garden so it sits at a slope towards the house. I also have a fair amount of weeds that have popped up in the garden. When it's rains the garden get water logged and I get a massive puddle at my back door.

I enjoy planting flowers and was looking forward to turning the garden into my little project.

My question is how do I tackle getting my lawn to look it's best and make the soil less clayie, sort out the water log and de-weed the garden. I do have a dog so need to be careful what I put down.

I do go full on and dig up all the law and and start from scratch or is there a better way of sorting this out

Thanks in advance 

Uploaded files:
  • 20230611_175128-1.jpg
  • 20230611_175130-1.jpg
  • 20230611_175125-1.jpg
  • 20230611_175135-1.jpg
  • 20230611_175141-1.jpg
  • 20230611_175145-1.jpg

Hi @mutabear

Thanks for your question about your new build lawn and soil conditions.

Can you please post some pictures to assist in us answering?

Many thanks!

mutabear has reacted to this post.
mutabear

Thank i have updated the post with Photos

Hi @mutabear

Thanks for the pictures for clarity. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the earth beneath the turf is very heavy clay. See those cracks and holes? That's baked clay soil which split apart in heat waves as it has little air so as soon as it drys out it pulls apart. Turf doesn't easily get on with heavy clay soil. In the winter its too wet and boggy, in summer it cracks and breaks. Whilst standard turf is tough these clay conditions result in a patchy lawn.

Given your soil, it's best to work with a grass seed mix that's specifically chosen for clay. Grasses like fescues that have deeper rooting structures etc. Like this lawn mix here. (This is an affiliate link so if you do choose to buy receive a small commission that helps keep this blog free to use!)

You have two other options in my experience:

Option 1: Remove the turf and then add at least a couple of tonnes of compost and decent topsoil to the area and then returf (expensive and time consuming)

Options 2: Work with the clay and create a design that reduces the size of the lawn, lift the rest and borders for herbaceous and trees which many will thrive in heavy clay. Then replace a smaller lawn maybe within a metal lawn edged area where you can improve the soil by adding plenty of organic matter and then lawn with an ornamental grass mix.

Another thing to note is that watering your lawn in heat waves and summer is a waste of time and still won't stop the clay from cracking and pulling apart. It's also a precious waste of water, so best improving the soil or creating a suitable design instead of hoping to keep the ground saturated!

I hope that helps.

Good luck!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!