Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Moving plants to new position

I have a thalictrum which has grown much taller than I had anticipated so I want to move it to the back of the border. When would be the best time for this and how hard should I cut it back? Many thanks, Sally.

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Sally,

Many thanks for getting in touch about moving plants. It's a really good question that a lot of people struggle with.

As a general rule, the best time to move most* plants is either early spring just as the garden starts to wake back up or Autumn.

Moving plants in Spring: This is when they are ready to start growing again and expending energy. This is the prime time to move them as they are ready to focus their efforts on reestablishing their root system etc. This is one of the least stressful times for plants.

Moving Plants in Autumn: The other time is Autumn just as plants start to go over or lose their leaves. This is when they are ready for their winter relax. Moving at this time is also less stressful for the plant.

Why we try not to move plants in Summer: Moving plants in summer or when in full flower is usually a bad move. This is because the plants, shrub or tree has put all its energy into flowering and if we move them at this time they have the least resources to then reroot. They are at their most stressed and weakest state. So unless its an emergency leave them where they are.

This can also be a good time to divide established herbaceous perennials by splitting them. You can read more on splitting/dividing plants here.

Always water the day before you lift and move and try and do this move either early morning or late afternoon. That way you're not battling the added stress of the sun which makes plants respire far faster. Get them up and then back in their new position asap.

Cutting back plants before you move them: In the case of the Thalictrum cut it back by 2/3's before you move it. This reduces stress and stops the wind from blowing it over before it has rerooted, Have a watch of my guide below when I've moved plants in Autumn.

Hope that helps and happy gardening!

Sam has reacted to this post.
Sam
Online garden design courses

Share this now!