Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Memorial Potted Tree

Please be gentle I have never been a gardener.  In fact I have never even looked after a house plant but this is important.  My Grandmother who raised me passed away in May.  I was kept busy with the admin of her passing but I now need a place to remember her.  She doesnt have a headstone I thought about getting a small tree something potted so I cantake it if I move house and place some of her ashes in the pot.  It would be a place for me to remember her.  I have no idea what to get.  She loved cooking and I thought about something that would deliver some produce.  Has to survive scottish winters.  Please help all reccomendations appreciated.

Hi @ljcampbell2hotmail-com

Welcome to the Garden Ninja forum and don't worry we are all patient and gentle Ninjas here!

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother passing. Your idea to use a tree as a living reminder is beautiful, so let me assist. I'm a huge fan of fruit trees for beginner gardeners, so think your idea is well thought through. They will also survive harsh Scottish winters too! So you can spend more time enjoying eating home made tablet from the warmth of your lounge! 😉

As a very beginner gardener fruit trees are a wonderful plant to start with. This is for two reasons.

1- They can be bought on dwarfing or small root stocks which control the ultimate size and growth, meaning you can choose a tree that will fit any space or container. Please checkout this guide for more on choosing the right size of fruit tree rootstock.

2- Fruit trees over spring blossom, summer leaves and fruit in Autumn making them a great plant to 'watch the seasons' through.

Dwarfing Rootstock sizes:

• M26 – Medium 2-3mt eventual height – Good for bushes or cordons, can be trained as a medium-sized tree
  • M9 – Small 1.8-2.5m eventual height -Very productive, always keep staked
  • M27 – V. Small 1-2m eventual height – Great for pots or patios, always keep staked

Have a look below at some fruit tree examples to help you and also my fruit tree pruning guide here once it's established and growing well.

I'd recommend either an apple or a plum to start with. Both have fabulous blossom and are easy to prune. Apples are always pruned in winter and Plums, Cherries and any of the stone fruits in late Spring.

Dwarfing Apple Trees:

Malus 'Appletini' is a fantastic choice for a container with small sweet red apples.

Malus 'Sparta' - an unusually small dark red apple - only partially self fertile fine if there are other fruit trees around our local area but if in doubt, choose a self fertile species.

Dwarf Plum Trees:

Prunus 'Black Amber' a prolific small plum tree

Prunus 'Victoria' dwarf rich sweet plum which is self fertile.

(These are affiliate links so if you do choose to buy receive a small commission that helps keep this blog free to use!)

I hope that helps get you started on your new adventure into growing and do let us know here at Garden Ninja HQW how you get on!

All the best

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!