Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hosta has disappeared over the winter? Is this normal?

Last year I planted lots of Hosta's and they did really well.  I have two questions though - at the moment there is no sign of them at all - they've literally completely disappeared!  I believe this is normal as the plants die back over winter and I think I'm right in saying they should come back bigger and stronger this year? but this made me wonder, how do plants do this though? if they were a decent size last year how can they grow quicker and be bigger each year?

Hi @tankboy74

Many thanks for your comment about Hostas and whether they should die back in the winter.

Hostas in a shady garden bed

The answer is yes, all Hostas die back in the winter as they are herbaceous perennials. Herbaceous perennials all enter a period of dormancy over the winter and lose their leaves. Then, the following spring, they emerge again and repeat the cycle. You can read more on herbaceous perennials and plant types here.

So if your Hostas have melted into the ground over winter, this is perfectly normal.

What you will notice is small shoots emerge around late March to April. This is the time you need to be mindful of slugs and snails to ensure that the new shoots are not decimated by these slimy garden pests!

Sometimes, placing a small garden cafe near the Hosta each autumn means you can keep a tab on its location ready for next year.

All the best

Lee Garden Ninja

Thanks so much Lee. That’s a relief! Do love hostas and we put in some really nice ones last year

Online garden design courses

Share this now!