Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hard pruning a shrub rose

1. Morning Lee, I’ve an old shrub rose. It’s very tall with a thick woody stem at the base that’s about 50cm in length, there aren’t any visible buds on it. I want to really reduce the height of the rose. David Austin advise I can I hard prune into the thick woody stem but I’d like your opinion mate. Is it ok to cut in to the thick woody main stem (see photo) and how long should it take for the rose to recover with new shoots? Many thanks! 🙏
Uploaded files:
  • IMG_0611.jpeg

Hi @tim-atkins

Thanks for your comment on how to prune a rose from my YouTube channel guide.

It can be really confusing for new or beginner gardeners to prune roses as it often feels super brutal and the online guides can be rather vague. When they say cut above a node, what exactly is this? Let's start at the basics, and then I'll show you where to prune your rose based on the example picture.

What is a node on a rose plant?

A rose plant node is a small, protruding area on the stem where leaves, branches, or flowers emerge. It appears as a slight swelling or bump along the stem and is typically accompanied by a leaf or leaf scar. Nodes are crucial for growth as they serve as points of attachment for leaves and buds. On rose plants, nodes often have small thorns or stipules near them, which are small, leaf-like structures. New growth, such as lateral shoots or flower buds, may emerge from nodes, contributing to the plant's overall development and flowering.

Nodes look like tiny bumps or nodules (nodes) on any branch or stem. You can run your fingers down, and where you feel a bulge, that's usually where the node is.

Where to prune an old rose

In your example, there are two nodes on the old growth or hardwood that I'd cut just above at a 45-degree angle away from the node. I've selected these nodes as they face outwards; you don't want inward-growing nodes as they just cause congestion. 

Taking back this vigorous shrub rose to the old wood is fine, and the best time to do it is in late winter. You will get away with it if you make the cuts now in the next week or so! It may reduce the rose's vigour ever so slightly.

These two cuts will cause growth to break out at the outward-facing nodes below, creating a more balanced shape. It may feel brutal, but it will recover, so don't panic!

Let us know how you get on!

Lee Garden Ninja

Lee, you absolute superstar!

Thanks so much for such a comprehensive answer. Amazing to have you about as a go to for advice!

Tim

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Thanks @tim-atkins

If you like my work and value my advice, I'm always grateful for a Google review as it helps bring more beginner gardeners to my site and shares the knowledge further!

https://g.page/gardenninja/review?gm

All the best

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!