Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Growing Mexican Feather Grass from seed

Happy New Year Ninjas! 🌱

I am hoping to fill two large borders this year, but with a very small budget available I've decided to grow as much as possible from seed.

I ordered lots of seeds including mexican feather grass which I love. But wow the instructions are intimidating! Sow from Nov to March, germination may be erratic, if germination fails cold stratify, move them somewhere warmer, then colder, then warmer 😟 

Any advice from Ninjas who have grown mexican feather grass from seed would be hugely appreciated. Should I sow them now? Do I need to follow all these complex processes? Maybe I should have just purchased established plants? 

Hi @cathycrochet

Great question about sowing and growing ornamental grasses from seed. You're right to be confused, as grasses can be a bit tricky to germinate, which is why all of the advice is ridiculously broad and pretty much useless for a new gardener!

The reason why the instructions are so vague is because ornamental grasses take a lot longer to grow from seed than annuals, vegetables or other perennials. They can take anywhere up to 6 weeks to germinate, in my experience. So you have to be patient. Then when they do, it's another waiting game before pricking them out. I wait at least 2-3 weeks once they have germinated before potting them on, as all ornamental grasses are relatively slow to start.

How to sow Mexican feather/Stipa tenuissima grass

1. Choose the Right Time & Stratify

Sow Stipa tenuissima seeds indoors in late winter to early spring, typically between February and April. This allows the seeds to germinate and grow before being transplanted outdoors. If you are worried about stratification, put the seeds in the fridge, in their packet for 2 weeks before.

2. Prepare the Seed Tray or Pots

Fill a seed tray or individual pots with a well-draining seed compost. Lightly tamp down the compost to create a level surface.

3, Sow the Seeds

Sprinkle the Stipa tenuissima seeds evenly over the surface of the compost. Since these seeds require light for germination, do not cover them with soil. Press the seeds gently into the compost using a flat board or your hands.

4. Add a Thin Layer of Vermiculite on top

Sprinkle a very fine layer of vermiculite or horticultural sand over the seeds. This helps to anchor the seeds and maintain consistent moisture levels. It also allows you to spot the tiny germinating Mexican feather grass seedlings easily.

5. Watering Stipa seeds

Water the seeds gently using a watering can with a fine rose attachment or put the seedling tray into a tray of water. Ensure that the compost is evenly moist but not waterlogged.

6. Cover with Plastic Wrap or Propagator Lid

Cover the seed tray or pots with clear plastic wrap or a propagator lid to create a humid environment, promoting germination. I use a piece of glass that I can clean and reuse. This also helps to retain moisture.

7. Place in a Warm Location

Position the seed tray or pots in a warm location where they receive a lot of sunlight. A temperature of around 18-24°Cis ideal for germination. i.e a greenhouse or window ledge is fine.

8. Germination Period

Stipa tenuissima seeds typically germinate within 14 to 21 days. However, I've known them to take 6 weeks to germinate, so don't panic or throw them out after a month. Once the seedlings have emerged and are large enough to handle, after 2 weeks of germinating, they can be transplanted into larger pots or directly into the garden.

9. Transplanting

When the seedlings have developed a few true leaves, transplant them into individual pots or into the garden. Choose a well-draining, sunny location for outdoor planting.

10. Harden Off

Before planting outdoors, gradually acclimate the seedlings to outdoor conditions by exposing them to increasing amounts of sunlight and reducing protection over the course of a week.

11. Planting Outdoors

Plant Stipa tenuissima in well-draining soil in a sunny location. Water regularly until the plants are established.

I hope that helps you Cathy!

All the best

Lee Garden Ninja

CathyCrochet has reacted to this post.
CathyCrochet

Thank you so much Lee! That's super helpful advice. I feel confident now that I can get those seeds growing. The seed companies should hire you to write their instructions! Many thanks again 🙂🌱💚

up

Growing Mexican feather grass from seed is rewarding process, yielding attractive ornamental grasses that thrive in various climates with proper care.

Thanks Peter. You're right about it being rewarding, I followed the steps Lee detailed above and sure enough I have a tray full of tiny healthy Mexican feather grass seedlings! 🌱😃 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!