Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Grapevine problem brown stunted growth?

Hi I’m new to this forum and pretty new to gardening.

I’m trying to grow two vines across a pergola. This is their second year. Both grew pretty well last year and I pruned back as per RHS guidelines. This year one is making good progress, is about 2m in height, and has healthy leaves etc. However the second has hardly developed in past two weeks and seems to have developed a brown growth on  and around buds. I assume something is wrong. Anyone know what the problem is and potential solution?

Many thanks

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_6333.jpeg
  • IMG_6334.jpeg

Hi @marshwiggle-mo

Thanks for asking about your grapevine.

This very much looks like Rugose wood complex which is a slow delay to the buds as they break each spring. It won't kill the grapevine but does slow it down. Theres some webbing there which may suggest spider mites have over wintered and are nibbling the new buds. Given them a wash with a diluted washing gup liquid spray in the evening out of the sun.

The stem may become marked by pits, marks and grooves. Rugose wood complex can be transmitted by vegetative propagation which vines can suffer from as they are usually grafted. It can also occur if you've had scale insects or mealy bugs eating your vines which then impacts their growth.

Treating Rugose wood complex

The best way to treat this it is twofold. Firstly good plant hygiene, such as not watering from above which stops humidity causing mould or fungus on the leaves. The second is pruning out overcrowded branches, which I know how you're already doing.

In your case I'd give this grapevine a good liquid plant feed and then keep your eyes on it for any pests that may be causing the issue.

Other Grapevine pests

Grapevines can be affected by various diseases, such as powdery mildew, downy mildew, botrytis bunch rot, and grapevine leafroll-associated viruses, among others. These diseases can have detrimental effects on grapevines and impact their growth, yield, and fruit quality. However, Rugose wood complex is not considered a threat to grapevines.

I hope that helps!

Lee

Many thanks for the very comprehensive answer - very much appreciated. I’ll ‘get on the case’ right away. 

Thanks again

Online garden design courses

Share this now!