Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Dracaena Deremensis with dry trunk

Hi all! I know this is desperate. I had this Dracaena Deremensis for 2 years. Actually it was 2 plants sold in the same pot, so I decided to repot them in a pot that for sure was too big.

Only one of them started to dry, but it didn't start with the leaves, only the trunk became dryer and dryer and it curved.

I separed the 2 plants in 2 smaller pots and I found that both of them had very very few roots and very short. Almost all of the "capillar" roots are gone, I found pieces in the terrain of the big pot. Also the terrain was dry on top but very moist deep down.

I don't know if I can hope that the dry plant will recover, or if I should chop the branches to make new plants.

Uploaded files:
  • 20231104_132724.jpg
  • 20231104_132633.jpg

Hi @fabiella

Thanks for your house plant question. It looks very much like the plant doesn’t have enough root stock to satisfy its needs. I.E. it’s drying out as it can’t take enough water up. It’s losing more water than it can ‘drink’ through the roots  

It may recover slowly but it maybe that separating it has damaged the roots especially if you said the root ball was small. You could hard prune it but I’m not sure it will survive. I’d keep it watered and if it’s still like this in 3 months think about replacing it. 

Sorry I can’t bring better news! 

Lee Garden Ninja  

Online garden design courses

Share this now!