Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cutting grass monthly or every quarter?

Hi everyone,

I've recently been told that I'm not to cut grass on banks monthly anymore (normally strimmed or mowed). Apparently, I am now to do it every quarter. 

I have recently cut some today and it is an absolute eyesore. When it was cut once a month, it was green, there weren't huge lumps and it looked presentable. Now, the grass is verging on yellow, lumps everywhere (h and s issue cutting on banks) and looks unsightly. 

I have been told since first ever cutting grass, that cutting grass is good for the grass. But now I'm being told it is better to leave it. I feel like I'm going insane. 

When the grass was cut regularly, it looked and seemed a lot healthier. Now it's getting cut much less, it is embarrassing to look at and seems unhealthy. 

Please someone help as, as mentioned above, I'm feel I'm going insane. 

Thanks very much, sorry for the essay 👍

Hi @sudogardener

Firstly, you're not going insane, and I can see why the different advice has you confused and exhausted!

There are two main approaches to lawn care. 

1 - Those who cut regularly to keep the grass uniform and neat

2- The lazy mow or no mow group, who leave grass to grow to its full height and then cut twice or three times a year only.

Mowing weekly or twice a month advice:

If you want your grass green, well-kept and neat the cutting it once a week or twice a month is the way to go. Mowing lawn is actually pruning the grass. It keeps it tidy and vibrant, as light can get to the entire stalk. The only drawback is that it's pretty useless for wildlife or any insects that try to live there, as you're cutting it, disturbing them, and removing their protective habitat. That said, formal or ornamental lawns and turf were never designed as a habitat for wildlife.

However, if you do this and don't mulch the clippings back into your lawn, you will have to feed your lawn at intervals, usually at least once a year, to replenish all the nutrients you're removing with each cut.

No Mow Lawn Advice:

If you leave your lawn and only cut it periodically in early spring and then autumn, the grass or lawn is far more suitable for wildlife. The taller grass provides a habitat and allows other native flowers to potentially emerge (I say potentially, as most new build gardens won't have any present in the turf. They have to be introduced).

No mow strips or tall grass strips are a good idea to give wildlife a helping hand. But rather than just leaving your ornamental grass to grow long and leggy, it's better to follow wildflower meadow practices by introducing some pollen rich perennial flowers to the mix. You can watch below how to create a meadow which is far less maintenance of any lawn type.

Why has my lawn now got bumps?

Your lawn may now have bumps because wildlife and even earth worms have started to fully use the ground beneath the lawn. Without all the mowing the turf is a much safer habitat for them, you also maybe finding more vigorous grass types overtaking the more thin ornamental types. Causing tussocks to appear.

It maybe worth while reading my how to lay a lawn guide for more guidance.

Hopefully that helps though?

Lee

It is totally on your lawn growth and maintenance required, but monthly care provides a consistently well-manicured lawn.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!