Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Black dots on tomatoes: how to stop it?

Hi everyone. I grew tomatoes for the first time this year, in a hanging basket. Most of the fruits have little black pin-prick sized dots on them. I've included a picture, hopefully its worked. I just wondered what it was and more importantly, are they safe to eat?

Uploaded files:
  • tom.PNG

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for getting in touch about your tomatoes. Firstly well done for using a hanging basket to grow such fruit. Great use of space!

The black marks look like some form of nutrient deficiency. Usually with tomatoes its potassium the major nutrient for forming fruits. In particular, it could be a very mild version of blossom end rot due to a lack of calcium, a micro nutrient. Looking at it though it doesn't look severe and I'd still eat them! They look plump ripe and well-formed with no open lesions. 

Given that hanging baskets have limited space and nutrients it would make sense that maybe they're slightly deficient in feed and this mottling or black spot is a symptom of that.

So advice for the future would be to make sure you use a really high nutrient peat-free compost, dalefoot composts are very good for veg especially their double strength one. Also, keep them well watered and when they start to form fruit you want a high potassium feed which you can water them with bi-weekly to help them develop.

Another idea to to grow trailing or smaller cherry tomatoes that are less hungry in your hanging basket next year?

This advice about watering goes for all hanging basket planting arrangements as they rely solely on you the owner to get their water and nutrients from you!

Happy growing! 

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!